Pages

Monday 26 March 2012

My Sport Relief Run



My Sport Relief Run

Sport Relief Mile

Sport Relief is a charity event held in the United Kingdom. It is associated with Comic relief and is in partnership with BBC Sport and the aim is to bring the two worlds of sport and entertainment together in the name of charity. Participants can take part in 1, 3 or 6 miles where they can walk or run. The official sponsor of the Sport Relief Mile is Sainsbury. Money raised from the event goes to help underprivileged people in the United Kingdom and overseas.

My Goals

I decided to take up the run as a new challenge for myself, as I am not a runner, but also to do something for charity. So my two goals were to complete a 6 mile run and raise some money for charity. I asked my girlfriend if she wanted to run with me and she agreed so I had my running/training partner and all was well.

Training
 
We researched into running for advice on training and nutrition to find out what was needed for running. We ended up going out running three to four times a week in the build up to the run and we increased the distance each time we trained. We also included other exercises, such as planks, to build up other muscles.



Fundraising

Throughout the build up we harassed friends and family for sponsor money. I raised £83 and my girlfriend raised £200. Not bad going.

The Run

On the 25th of March at 10:00am my run began. The atmosphere was great and there were a lot of people there. We managed to run the majority of the 6miles, only walking a small amount, and managed to complete the distance in just over one hour. We had a lot of fun and hopefully raised some good money for charity. It is expected that there were around 4,000 people that took part, which is fantastic.


Finished!


4 comments: